October 13, 2008

Catcher in the Rye

What do we want to become when we grow up? I have pondered long over this question till a few years back, and then stopped asking myself. Each one of us, as a child, had dreams and fantasies of becoming someone. And here we are, all lost in this world, chasing some dream we don't even know about.



'The Catcher in the Rye' is one of the most famous books in the history, and also, amongst the most controversial as well. I was surprised to learn about the controversies though. When I read through the book, I found nothing so much objectionable. It is a story about a small boy named Holden Caulfield. He narrates the story after he has been expelled from his school, and how he spends his couple of days away from everyone. He talks at length about his family - his brothers and his sister. He describes the relationship he had with his classmates at the school, and a couple of his ex-girls. One of the better books I have read in recent times. There is no meaningful story or a flow per se, but the quality of writing is awesome. 
 
                        

No comments: