August 10, 2008

Kane and Abel

There was a time when I didn't read novels. For no great reason, but just didn't read. Then one day, one of my friend asked me to try one of them. He gave me 'Love Story' by Erich Segal, and I did like it. I borrowed another novel from another friend named 'As the Crow Flies' and I liked it too. Later that friend told me that it was one of the worse novels of Jeffery Archer, with 'Kane and Abel' being his best. I didn't have a great pocket-money in those days, hence I never bought the book to verify.



After 6 years, I finally read the book. Well, my choice have changed a little, and I mostly read Finance and Economics books these days. Hence, it took me a long time to buy this one, and give it a read. It's a story about two men, born on the same day, but in very different families. It narrates how both of them grows with vastly different experiences - one goes to Harvard and wins more and more scholarships, whereas the other survives the first world war, from the Germans and as the Russians. They both grow on to become rich and powerful, and somehow, start hating each other. Its a nicely written fast flowing story, and narrates the incidents from birth to death of both its characters.

For all the Jeffery Archer fans, this is a must read.

                     

No comments: